When you are expressing a strong emotion, use an exclamation point (!). A comma (,) can be used for a weaker emotion.
Express a Feeling - Wow, Gee, Oops, Darn, Geez, Oh:
- Ouch! That hurts.
- Geez, I need a break.
- Wow! What a beautiful dress!
Call Attention - Yo, Hey:
- Yo, give me the ball.
- Hey, I just wanted to talk to you about the previous incident.
Say Yes or No - Yes, No, Nope:
- Yes, I will do it.
- No, I am not going to go there.
- Nope. That's not what I want.
Indicate a Pause - Well, Um, Hmm:
- Well, what I meant was nothing like that.
- Um, here is our proposal.
- Hmm. You really need to be on a diet.